9 years have passed since I got stranded in this country in
war. Since the other volunteers were killed in the mortar explosion, I have no
way to reach my hometown anymore. Anyway, living here, it makes me realised how
lucky I was back in the modernised “religious” country. Now, this is my home. I
have a caring, brave husband – a soldier fighting for the freedom of this
country, and a cute 8-years-old daughter who we named Jamilah, a perfect name
for such a beautiful girl like her.
“What did you learn at school today Jamilah?”, My husband began
the conversation as we were having our dinner – nothing but a crumb of bread.
“Our teacher told us of how faithful people are brothers and
sisters. Every faithful person should love another person as he loves himself”,
she answered excitedly. How cute she is.
“Wow, really? That is wonderful. And do you know how many
people are there, who have the same faith as us in the world, dear?”
“Hurmm ... a million??”
“No. Hahahah. That is too small. Guess again”
“What? There are more than a million faithful people out
there?”
“Yes dear. There are more than a hundred million of
believers out there!” my husband responds with the same enthusiasm. I just
chuckled watching the father and daughter.
Oh, how truly grateful I am to be in such a family like
this. It makes you forget all the problems in the world. Even I am placed in a
country with no guarantee of being alive the next day, nor any earplugs to stop
myself from hearing the sounds of those mortars and bullets in the air, I am
truly – really grateful.
Although I am a foreigner in their country, they treat me so
well as if I am one of their own. It must be caused by their faith and
obedience to God. I recalled telling the story of how my hometown in the modern
“religious” country is. To be honest, it is a bit shameful to tell my little
girl that, for 20 years of my life, I
was living in a country so selfish and oblivious to the sufferings of the
people in this country and the rest of the countries in war. People here are
threatened every day by those who are invading our land, while back in my
country the people are spending money to buy these invaders’ products, funding
their occupation to this nation. Women
here are struggling to protect their honour, while the women back in my country
are showing their body to men in the streets by wearing “trendy” clothes.
Everyone here are fighting with their lives, trying to spend every single
breath to , but the people back in my country still have time to enjoy games,
movies, and gossiping, all those precious time that should’ve been used to help
their brothers in sisters in jeopardy.
How could I tell her of my shameful hometown? So all I told
her is how we play happily every day, and how we pray for the countries in
jeopardy of war, and how we have concerts and talks to show our support to
these invaded countries.
Anyhow, I believe her father would be able to give her the
knowledge she needs to become a true fighter of freedom, a true martyr for the
sake of our religion – unlike the past me, unlike the people in those
“modernised” countries.
“Now Jamilah, do you want daddy to continue your bedtime
story of The People of The Cave from yesterday?”
“Sure mommy!! Daddy, so did they slept for a whole day, or
was it three days??”
“No Jamilah, it was 300 years!!”
The actions of the father and daughter in my house never
cease to set me off my worries. How delightful.
Suddenly, we heard hard knockings on the door. Rough voices
from the other side are yelling at us to let them in. Without sparing another
split second, I grabbed Jamilah and hid together in the hidden door behind the
closet. A moment later, I heard the sound of our house’s door broken. I heard
the voices of my husband and the invaders. I heard yellings. Then I heard ...
gunshots.
Then ... I heard nothing but silence.
My heart was racing frantically. I clasped my mouth. I tried
my best to hide my tears. Oh my God, what just happened?!!
Anxiously, I came out of hiding. I can barely feel my feet.
I barely have the energy and hope to breathe. I walked slowly to where we were
having our dinner.
Then, we were greeted by the sight my beloved husband - my
sunshine who shone my life all this while - lying on the floor, in a pool of
blood.
My heart almost stopped at sight.
Jamilah ran towards her father, while I just dropped on my
knees. I could not contain my tears anymore.
“Daddy!! Daddy!! Wake up daddy!! Come on daddy wake up!!”
Hearing Jamilah’s crying voice, screaming and calling for
her daddy, shaking her father’s dead body, hoping to wake him up ...
“Daddy!! Wake up Daddy!! Daddy please wake up!! You promised
me to read the bedtime story to me!”
“Daddy, you promised me daddy. You promised to finish the
story! Please daddy! Wake up!”
“Jamilah ... your daddy ... “ I could even contain my own
tears, how could I be telling her not to cry?
“Mommy, why daddy won’t wake up? Daddy promised to read the
story to me tonight!”
“Why mommy, why did they kill daddy? Why did they have to
kill him? Daddy never did anything wrong!”
“Where are our brothers and sisters in faith mommy? Why are
they not helping us?”
“Do they really pray for us mommy? Then why did daddy died?”
My little girl, if only you knew, how the others live out
there in their separate peaceful countries.
How can they be helping us if they are too busy enjoying
themselves? How can they be really praying for us if they don’t even pray? How
can their prayers have any meaning if they are living in a lifestyle so far
from god? How can their prayers help us if their life’s goal is nothing but
indulging with the life’s pleasures instead of searching for god’s pleasure?
My little girl ... if only you knew ...
No comments:
Post a Comment